360MC Spectacle Artefact – Process/Development
The process of creating my spectacle artefact has been challenging to say the least as I had a few original ideas, however, every time I looked over them I couldn’t quite make them fit the brief, so I did struggle to come up with an idea that was interesting to myself and the audience but which also fit the brief. After coming up with my Apple idea of transformation overtime I wasn’t quite sure how to make it play with reality, and after seeking some advice I made the decision to take the advice on board and create a possible futuristic Apple product. I wanted to create something that right now would seem a million miles away from invention let along completion, just as the iPhone and all its capabilities seemed to us back when we were all using chunky mobiles with aerials, and so I decided upon a book that when opened would transport you to any destination you so desired, also with the option of having different destinations to choose from on each page, hence it being a book, making it more fairytale like.
So taking inspiration from a fellow classmate and having looked at some adverts I came up with the idea of having the Apple timeline in pictures printed on card and pulled into the view of the camera by a pair of hands making it slightly more mystical as like myself, there is a lot people may not have known about Apple and how it started.
When filming I knew what I wanted to be seen on screen and once set up the process didn’t take long, whilst shooting I also had an idea flash where in instead of just showing all the Apple products that had been purchased by my influential subject I would have them write roughly how much they have spent on Apple concessions, this was a staggering £5500 approximately not taking into account purchases from the iTunes and App store. I thought this would have a great effect as a lot of the products were as Guy Debord says ‘more of the same’ and this visual would reiterate and emphasise that statement.
I did have an alternative idea or potential add on to my piece which was going to be a parody of an Apple advert for my futuristic product, however, even though I had managed to book equipment and a room to do this unfortunately vital equipment that I had booked had not been returned and the room I had booked was suddenly no longer available which meant I had to scrap this part completely as time was restricted even more so.
As the filming was done in one shot it didn’t take long to edit, though I did colour correct some of it which took a bit of time, however, after receiving feedback which was positive, I was more aware that some of the pieces of card were a little of centre and could have been straighter and so I was told I should try and re-frame some of the shots. I knew it would be difficult to match the two different sequences together if there were differently framed shots as the hands may differ in position, so I decided to re-shoot the length of the timeline but keep the shots of the Apple products and the futuristic product the same as they were originally shot separately anyway.
Again re-shooting didn’t take long as I again knew what I wanted and we had already run through it before. This was a much better shoot as I marked where the cards had to go so that they wouldn’t be as off centre as before, which made a big difference. However, when editing I did notice that a few of the cards had slipped and were fumbled about a bit more than originally seen, but I think this is a much better version as the rolling shutter has now gone, the lighting is much better and the picture is no longer as grainy as it looked before.
In conclusion, no matter how finished you think your work is, there is almost certainly room for improvement somewhere, this is therefore why I try to have my artefacts ready for the first initial viewings so that i can gain feedback and work upon my piece.
The Spectacle of Transformation of Apple over time