FOR ASSESSMENT *360MC Spectacle Artefact – Evaluation/Reflection
Final Spectacle Artefact
Overall I think this artefact has challenged me mentally more than physically as I had to think a lot about being within the brief, and one of the obstructions in particular was challenging as we had to draw from the theories of either Guy Debord or Baudrillard and when reading them I felt like they were going over my head and I wasn’t quite grasping their meanings. Once I had an idea I read through the theories again and fit my idea and three of the theories together which was a revelation as those theories suddenly had more meaning than ever in regards to my idea.
I managed to produce something that I think is engaging despite having the set back of not being able to add in my eyes what was going to be the best part of my piece which was the parody. I have learnt so much through the process of this piece as if I had not filmed my original idea when I did and just relied upon making the parody I would not of had any material to gain feedback for, and I find feedback is essential for me to go away and develop not only my work but myself as well.
I am pleased with my artefact and although I was nervous about showing it because I thought people may have thought it was boring, or too slowly paced, I received positive feedback saying it was interesting, engaging, and the pacing was just right and the only thing to think about was re-framing some of the shots. I was more than happy to hear this feedback and I should have more confidence in my work than I do.
There were some minor problems alongside not being able to film the parody, which was compressing my footage as when compressed it was still too big to fit on Vimeo, I managed to overcome this by exporting the footage from iMovie. Eventually when I looked at the uploaded video it had lost some quality and looked a little grey and grainy, which I then fixed when exporting my new re-edited footage. I also learnt how to create a codec in compressor for Vimeo as once again when exported my re-edit file was too big and compressor wasn’t able to make it small enough and so I had to find out how to do this manually. There was also some unnecessary time wasted transferring footage to and from my hard drive, but in hindsight this couldn’t be helped.
With this artefact I have again kept to the brief and acted upon feedback I had been given in order to develop my work, which shows my attitude towards bettering myself and my work. I have challenged my mind more than my technical skills with this piece although I have learnt some new technical aspects in post-production, and learnt that it is always a good thing to have a back up plan!